Professional Experience - Administration
Coordinator, Audio Engineering Program, Kansas City Kansas Community College, 2005 - present.
Assistant Manager, Interlochen Public Radio Production and Presentations Department, Interlochen Center for the Arts, Michigan, summers 1997 - 2000.
Professional Experience - Teaching
Professor, Audio Engineering and Music Technology, Kansas City Kansas Community College, 2000 - present.
Adjunct Instructor, Music Technology, Kansas City Kansas Community College, 1999 - 2000.
Graduate Teaching Assistant & MIDI Lab Manager, Emporia State University, 1996 - 1998.
Instructor - Music Technology in the Classroom, International Music Camp, North Dakota, summer 1996.
Selected Publications & Presentations
• Mic It! (2nd Edition) – published by Routledge/Focal Press (2021).
• Hands On. Mixing Steven Wilson Live, article publication in Sound On Sound Magazine (March 2017).
• Mic It! – a book on mics, mic techniques, and their impact on the mix process published by Focal Press (2014).
• Lost In Translation – What Data Compression Does To Your Music, article publication in Sound On Sound Magazine (April 2012).
• Peter Gabriel – the Audio for the New Blood Tour, article publication in Sound On Sound Magazine (June 2011).
• Audio Mastering, multimedia (DVD) article published in Sound On Sound magazine (2005).
• Moderator, presenter and panelist at AES conventions in San Francisco (2010), London (2011), New York (2011), San Francisco (2012), New York (2013), Los Angeles (2014), Warsaw (2015), New York (2015), Paris (2016), Los Angeles (2016), Berlin (2017), New York (2017), Milan (2018), Montevideo (2018), New York (2018), Dublin (2019), Lima (2019), New York (2019), The Hague (2022), New York (2022).
• Invited presenter at local, regional, and national AES, APRS, university and professional organization events throughout the USA, Central and South America, and Europe. Presentations include:
What Gear Do You REALLY Need?
Live Sound for Jazz
Mic It for the Mix!
Lost In Translation – What Data Compression Does To Your Music
The iPod Generation – the Audio Artifacts they are Listening to
Live Sound and Recording – Big Band Jazz on a Budget
Surrounded by Sound – an Introduction to Surround Sound
Top 10 Rookie Recording Mistakes To Avoid